I can’t almost believe it is 2017 let alone the start of a new Finish-A-Long year 🙂 I’m hoping to actually get on more with stuff this year as I’m trying to be more organised and use my planner! It’s just a shame my organisational skills does not extend to taking photos during the day light! Without further ado here is what I’ve decided from my lists to enter this quarter…
- Christmas Tablecloth… yes the “C” word but I am intended to do something every month or two and first up is to finish the handquilting and binding on this. Soo close!
- Scarf… I picked this up in Trago last week and thought it be a pretty scarf and to break me in on my new overlocker! If anyone has any overlocker tips or projects let me know 🙂
- Noah’s Ark Embroidery… yes this is still here and hardly any progress. one day!
- Wonky Stars Quilt… I had meant to give this as a christmas present.. but think it be a make you smile gift instead!
- Gnome Place Like Home Cross Stitch… erm I think I intended this to be a gift for Christmas 2015
- South West Modern Quilt Guild Lanyard for the swap at the first meeting!
- Dinosaur Cushion… the last cushion I made Matthew for his chair has been squished six ways to sunday and long overdue for another!
- Knitted animal hat… I must be brave. I must be brave and jump in on this!
- Lacy Zip Pouch.. just needs the zip attaching and the final stitchdown.
So that’s it… I think manageable for this quarter right? Of course I have more things working on some secret, some now and some impulse.
What are you working on/hoping to do? I’m enjoying the last of my sunday before Sherlock pops on as it’s back to work tomorrow after a two week break. (Where did that time go?!)
Posted by quirkyhannah on January 8, 2017
In my Goals post I mentioned tentatively that I wanted to do more with knitting and crochet… well I’ve made a start already! Jillyrosie on Instagram this week posted that she was starting a sky blanket and after looking into it.. I thought why not. It’s a good way to get me knitting regularly and is just a square.
Laura from Bugs and Fishes dreamt up the original concept and to see her post on how to make one go here. But basically all it is, is knit a square each day matching it to the colour of the sky. Easy right?
Hmm due to some unexpected car expenses (hello new battery and tyres) I needed to dig into my stash and not buy anything new until next payday. Sadly I don’t have the size 6 needles so using size 8 instead! Trying to stick with good quality acrylic yarn but I have deviated on colour slightly… since it be boring to have two squares exactly the same at times I’m allowing myself the reflection of the sky in the water… as being in Cornwall we do have beautiful sky and water scenery!
Here I am up to day 5 already…. debating whether to redo day 5 but I wanted something slightly different being that it’s the husband’s birthday and we went for a wander around Falmouth…
Today has been another dark and dreary day but I think leave that for the morning as I managed to catch up on 3.5 squares today 🙂 I think I’m improving I haven’t unravelled a squared since the second one and I think they are getting less wonky.. Now if only I can fix whatever weird thing I’m doing when casting on…
I picked up this book in the Works Sale last week and can’t wait to get started on some, a couple projects have caught my eye already. I really really want to do this hat in either of these chunky yarns but the only problem is I have all the circular needles up to size 10 but it wants size 11, 13…..sighs why can I never have anything I need when starting a new project!
I def recommend this book if you are into Fairytales inspired knits, after conquering the hat it’ll be Belle’s bookish gloves… look aren’t they pretty? Maybe not in yellow though… don’t think that’s me somehow!
I’m back at work on Monday after two weeks off and dreading it… so hopefully enjoy this weekend and get lots more done! Have a good one folks.
Posted by quirkyhannah on January 6, 2017
Ok.. here we are again and it’s been awhile. No matter what my intentions are blogging seems to fall by the wayside lately.
It may not seem like it but I have done stuff… quilts and gifts with a lot of cross stitch in between! I shall have to beg for photos to show them off to you (soon).
I always end up updating by book list this time of year and am quite amazed, 2015 I read 58 books. This year… 132! Although to be fair I can put a lot of that down to the Kindle I received for my birthday.
So… what’s on the agenda for 2017?
For starters I’m breaking open this Kikki K Vanskapp Planner I’ve had for awhile now and actually using it. The only downside is I got the large version so can’t carry it around with me… But I have a lot going on next yearso I need be more organised!
South West Modern Quilt Guild: This is a new guild starting in a couple of weeks (so excited). With monthly meetings and lots going on it should be a lot of fun! The only downside is that it will involve a bit of travel as it’s in Wellington (Somerset)and I’m coming from Cornwall… If anyone is interested there are still some spaces left just hop on over to the Instagram account here.
South West Stitchers: I’ll still be going along to this in the new place in Honiton although 2 of the 3 meetings clash with the guild.
Supernatural Convention (non craft related): The only meeting of the MQG I’ll miss as both myself and sister are heading up to Blackpool for this in May (eeek!!!). It’s also over my birthday so hopefully be a good time 🙂 For those who are thinking wtf it’s Supernatural the tv show…
Simply Solids Retreat: waiting on dates but fingers crossed!
As I like to dabble in a lot… I’ve decided this year will be more selfish crafting again especially since I want to crack crochet/knitting! I’ve purposedly ignored all new swaps and Stitch/Quilt Alongs as I’ve not even finished the ones started this year yet….
- Finished 2016 Pumpkin Sampler Cross Stitch (so close working on the last 2 months)
- 2016 Lucy Boston EPP quilt by SewandQuilt (embarrassingly still in Month 1!)
- Harry Potter Cushion Cross Stitch Sampler (am somewhere in month 6…)
- Carolyn Friedlander Simply Solids Collection Quilt (erm not even looked at…)
- SewSampler QAL organised by the Sewing Directory (half way through)
Things in general…
- Wonky Star Cat Quilt for a friend
- Get this curved sailboat quilt out of my head and onto fabric (been so long lost the original template
- Cinderella Cross Stitch (got the pattern/supplies just need to start)
- Chunky Cross Stitch Cushions- finish the tea one and start hedgehog
- Dinosaur Quilt and Cushion for Matthew
- Liberty and AGF Solid QST quilt
- Northern Lights Quilt for me (really really need a quilt for me I don’t have one! unless 2 tablecloths count…)
- Fox Rug Kit- to try
Life in general…
- Get back into a bi-weekly blogging habit
- Improve on my healthy lifestyle and experimenting in kitchen (refined sugar free and slowly less gluten/grains and incorporate fitness into morning routine)
- Share new recipes
- Actually use the Overlocker bought this week 🙂
- Use my Patisserie Mixer at least once a month…
- Practice new crafts (knitting/crochet etc)
- Design and distribute own patterns
- Grow my little business (finally)
- Make sure keep time to myself… reading… games etc
- Keep in touch and strengthen friendships whereever people may be
I think that’s enough of my waffle! Happy New Year everyone and looking forward to seeing your goals. Today I’m linking up with quiltingjetgirl and #2017 planning party.
Posted by quirkyhannah on December 31, 2016
Oh yup it’s that time again to link up. Looking at my list last quarter I actually did better than I thought even if I didn’t show many of them.. Out of my main list of 7 I actually finished 5!! Practically a new record for me!
And for the first time in what feels like ever I’m completely swap/bee free just waiting for my Supernatural swap to arrive and a round robin that seems “lost” in the post. Seriously three months to cross the atlantic 😦 With that in mind there’s going to be a lot more “me” sewing and gifts yay!
So… what’s on the list this time?
1. Quilt for Oliver- lovely the theme! Just trying to decide on what solid to co-ordinate on the border with…
2-3. Beach quilt I pieced in summer 2012 and the christmas tablecloth I started in December
4. Milk, Flour and Sugar baby quilt
5. Starry Irish Chain Quilt
6. An item of clothing for me!
7. This Noah Ark embroidery for a canvas
8. Also some stitchy pies and other odds and ends for gifts.
What are you working on/linking up?
Posted by quirkyhannah on April 16, 2016
So… to all of you still here and reading my little blog- Happy New Year!
2015 has been a bit of a rollercoaster and I’ve not been as creative as I would like but instead of resolutions I’ve chosen a word to keep in mind for 2016.
I think this can be applied to almost any aspect of my life… I have a lot of clutter both physically and emotionally and it’s time for a good ole clear out 🙂
Like making better use of my time and actually using my planner properly… I’m a bit of a stationary geek and tend collect notebooks….
Or not starting new projects until some WIPs are done. Yes we’ve all been/are there. I have so many ideas of stuff I want to do but got to actually finish things and use what’s in my stash.
I’ve finally updated my 2015 Book list a massive 58 books last year! Going to make sure this year’s is regularly updated… and if any of you are on Goodreads stop by and wave to me here 🙂
I’ve got lots of new plans too including turning this blog into something more regularly updated as a “Creative Lifestyle Blog” and adding something new to my shop! Some sneaky peeks of what’s to come…
There’s still a few bits left in my Etsy shop if you want a bargain!
Posted by quirkyhannah on January 3, 2016
Morning! Just give me a minute to dust away the cobwebs it’s been a while since I’ve been around here for various reasons…. but I’m back 🙂 And ready to commit some goals to the third round of the Finish A Long (I can’t believe we’re that far into the year!)
Last time I did finish some bits but forgot to link up again (duh). Since coming back from our mini break to Wiltshire to my nice newly organised sewing space (more details on those things later in the week) I’ve been doing a lot of sewing yay. So my goals…..
1. Handpieced Mini Swap from IG.
2. Summer Baskets Mini Quilt for me 🙂 In some of my hoarded Denyse Schmidt fabrics
3-4. Lori Holt Mini Swap from IG and a Farm Girl Vintage Tablerunner
5. Bunting for my nephew’s First Birthday. Two lots as my sister wants Happy First Birthday Oliver. Figured if the Oliver was separate be easier to keep and up in his room! 6. I’ve cut some of this already but I really want to get his one pieced by the end of the summer!
7-9. Three child sized quilts… one sea themed, another Hazel the Hedgehog and the third… you’ve already seen some of it 🙂 A starry Irish Chain.
I have a lot of other things I want to get done but not going to add them to the list for if they happen, they happen! Linking up with….
Now it’s back to the very wet and windy weather perfect for going back to work tomorrow after some time off right?? Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.
Posted by quirkyhannah on July 12, 2015
Well Q1 was dismal and even forgot to link up my one measly finish… here’s hoping to a better Q2! Especially since my new toy should be arriving end of next week 🙂
Some are these are carried on from the last quarter and this list is by no means definitive of what I have to do but I need a big kick to keep on track…
1. My mini for the Ukminiswap- due in a couple of weeks… I’ve been feeling a little intimidated by my partner so it’s taking me ages to decide what to do! Mixing up some daysail with curves….
2. A Pentagon ball made via english paper piecing for my nephew Louis.
3-7. I STILL have quilts for the little ones to do. The above is the backing for the youngest. The other quilts can be seen here and I have Hazel the Hedgehog all cut out too as a bonus one. Also adding in a pram quilt made out of triangles and boyish fabrics which must be finished soon… yes really!
8. An on the go project for a hexie baby quilt- recipient indetermined.But given that I have a lot of deadlines coming up for both the day job and sewing this is my way to relax. And it’s such pretty fabric! I just can’t decide on the next border for the hexie flowers…
9. These started out as tester blocks for when I was doing a curved project last month (more on that soon). I couldn’t stop however… just need to do some more blocks
10. Can you spot a theme already? With gritted teeth this is going to be a butterfly block (those who know me don’t fall off in shock as I really do not like these things…) but once you get an idea go with it right?? Destined to be a little one’s quilt. 11-12. Gifts in the making.. all cut and interfaced just needs sewing up complete with zips. I’m betting a couple of people can guess who these are for… especially since one has been hanging around since last year….
12. This is happening… my seal quilt in applique. I want to enter this in FOQ but it be great if it could be done at least a month in advance of the deadline…
Also on the list are………. minis for the Fairytaleswap, Sherlock Swap but I have no idea at present so won’t count those! Besides think I have enough to be getting on with right??
What is everyone else working on? Linking up with Adrianne.
Posted by quirkyhannah on April 12, 2015
So.. as 2014 is drawing to a close it’s time to think about aims for next year and inspired by Kerry over at Pennydog here’s my list of sewing goals for 2015!
1. Conquer precut fear- above is my current collection of precuts. 4 Layer Cakes, 3 Jelly Rolls and 13 Charm Packs. I did have more but I either gave or destashed some… They are pretty to look at butI hate the idea of wasting them on random things so they have just stayed in the drawer. I need to design patterns and use these up.
2. Attempt more dressmaking- last year I did made a Ginger skirt, cut out a flora dress and modified the pattern for the Plaintain tunic but that’s it…. I really need to make the use of these patterns then I can get more 😉
3. Write/publish patterns- been thinking about this for a good while.. as it could help fund my fabric obsession and be a good way to get these ideas out of my head on to paper and actually made!
4. Try new quilting techniques- I really want to do a pixel quilt or applique art quilts to do with seals!
5. Get a good in the next FOQ entry- of course this means I’ll also need to design and make something for it too 🙂
In addition this is some of what is hanging on the back of my chair pieced quilts in various stages…. I really ought to get a move on and finish these!
And……….. some present additions this month 🙂
Is everyone managing to sew or partake in the sales? Don’t forget if you want to win some of Kerry’s fabric in the goal linkup you only have three more days 🙂
Posted by quirkyhannah on December 28, 2014
… Or my attempt at trying to motivate myself to finish things completely!
I’m ashamed to admit that I actually start this a little over a year ago… I really am struggling with the fabric (a Cabbages and Roses Jelly Roll given when subscribed to Popular Patchwork). Wanting to get this finished soon to give as a present!
Some of my vintage stash.. and look there’s actually quarter square triangles there already! Aiming to make with this lot a patchwork cushion, baby quilt and some odds and ends.
Something bit more for me… am really getting into crochet (when I’m not sewing) so I need a case to hold all me crochet hooks don’t I?!
Some other EPP bits that lying around… these are table centrepieces in theory. The bright bake sale one is for me 🙂
Now this is a prototype of something that I really need to get finished!
Something else for me that I’ve sorely neglected due to not having enough fabric. An epp tablecloth I found something similar so hopefully now back on track!
Are you joining in?
Posted by quirkyhannah on April 14, 2014